Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Chicken Salsa Verde Soup

I'm not much of a soup person. Every time I eat it, I enjoy it, but I never crave soup and it doesn't make its way onto our weekly menu very often. That being said, on a cold winter day a few weeks ago, I tried a recipe from Gimme Some Oven for chicken chili and fell in love. It is a new staple meal at our house and it's truly the easiest meal to throw together--5 ingredients, 15 minutes and you're done! I've tried both the slow cooker (when my chicken was still frozen) and stovetop (when I needed it in a pinch) versions and they are both divine. 



I've renamed the recipe for my purposes because I think the salsa verde is the star of the show. Talk about adding tons of flavor in no time at all. This soup doesn't have to simmer on the stove for hours! I grabbed the cheapest jar of salsa verde that I could find at Walmart and dumped it in. 

While the soup is heating up, chop a few add-in toppings and you've got a decadent meal to dip into. We opted for some bacon leftover from breakfast, green onions, avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. We try to keep our meals paleo as much as possible, so we opted for fresh toppings, but I imagine a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese would take this soup over the top!


Give it a shot and let me know what you topped yours with. Fingers crossed, we only have a few more weeks of winter! 

Chicken Salsa Verde Soup
Recipe copied from gimmesomeoven.com

INGREDIENTS:

6 cups chicken broth
4 cups cooked shredded chicken (*or see slow cooker method which uses uncooked chicken breasts)
2 (15-oz) cans Great Northern beans, drained
2 cups salsa verde 
2 tsp. ground cumin

DIRECTIONS:

Stovetop Method: Add chicken broth, shredded chicken, beans, salsa and cumin to a medium saucepan, and stir to combine.  Heat over medium-high heat until boiling, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 5 minutes.

Serve warm with desired toppings.

Slow Cooker Method: Add chicken broth, 2 uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, beans, salsa and cumin to a slow cooker, and stir to combine.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork.  Shred the chicken.

Serve warm with desired toppings.

3 comments:

  1. This might have to be on the menu tonight....maybe invite some neighbors over as our temp goes from 70 to 29! Sounds delicious!! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That is quite a drop! Does this mean you are dipping below freezing drizzle to snow?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete